Engage in Physical activity to improve your health and fitness. Regular exercise helps to reach and maintain a healthy weight. Healthy weight boosts your confidence. If you take in more calories than needed in a day, exercise offsets a caloric overload and controls body weight. It speeds the rate of energy use, resulting in increased metabolism. When metabolism increases, you will maintain the faster rate for longer periods of a day. Even the regular walking for 30 mins a day or climbing the stairs instead of elevators makes a lot of difference for your better health. Research indicates that 30 minutes a day of moderate to vigorous intensity physical activity is associated with many health benefits. Getting more physical activity will contribute to faster weight loss.
Benefits of Exercise:
- Exercise acts as a natural antidepressant. The antidepressant effect of regular physical exercise is comparable to the potent antidepressants sold in pharmacy. Just 30 minutes of physical activity a day in a week, helps improve symptoms of depression.
- Better sleep at night – If you suffer from poor sleep, daily exercise can make the difference. The natural dip in the body temperature five to six hours after exercise may help to fall asleep.
- Cardiovascular health– Lack of physical activity is one of the major risk factors for cardiovascular diseases. Regular exercising makes your heart, like any other muscle, stronger. A stronger heart can pump more blood with less effort.
- New brain cell development, improved cognition and memory. Exercise stimulates the generation of new brain cells. For instance, older adults who engage in regular physical activity have better performances in decision-making process, memory and problem solving.
- Cholesterol lowering effect– Exercise itself does not burn off cholesterol like it does with fat. However, exercise favourably influences blood cholesterol levels by decreasing LDL (bad) cholesterol, triglycerides and total cholesterol and increasing HDL (good) cholesterol.
- People who are physically active live longer. According to a study, even 30 minute walk everyday makes a big difference to health.
- Lowers Blood pressure– Any form of physical activity can be effective in reducing blood pressure. Aerobics appears to have a slightly greater effect on blood pressure in hypertensive individuals than in individuals without hypertension.
- Muscle strength– Health studies repeatedly show that strength training increases muscle strength and mass and decreases fat tissue.
- Bone strength– An active lifestyle benefits bone density. Regular weight-bearing activity promotes bone formation, delays bone loss and may protect against osteoporosis, which is a form of bone loss associated with ageing.